After the birthing experience which may have been exhausting yet joyful, you may wish to use reflexology to help with your new life and the demands of a new baby. Reflexology is wonderful in terms of its balancing, harmonising and restorative properties.
Other needs may be:
- Adjusting to the demands of coping with a new baby – emotional support and care
- Working with any trauma or birthing issues
- Support as your menstrual cycle returns to normal – balancing the hormones
- Maintaining or increasing milk supply
- Postnatal depression and anxiety
- General relaxation
- Learning techniques to soothe and calm baby
This is one of the most difficult times to get women to seek treatment, even though their needs might be very real, they may feel that caring for themselves comes way down on the list. Most women will heal naturally, and will adjust to their new life easily. For some, support is required, which might be anything from the occasional “pamper” to full emotional support. Keeping the hormones balanced as they drop can be key in PND, especially if there is history.
Reflexology can be of assistance through from preconception right the way through to birth and beyond. Don’t forget too, you will find working baby’s feet a pleasure and you will be able to help them through some basic baby problems – vomiting, constipation and diahorrea, colic or generally being unsettled. This can really help to form strong bonds between both parents and baby and is a joy to share.