Abdominal Sacral Massage
In the postnatal period you will be going through massive changes physically, emotionally and mentally. Hormones will be fluctuating as some drop dramatically and others rise sharply. The hormones of birth will be now stabilising and androgens may or may not be in balance. All of this will be impacting on your emotional health and wellbeing at a vulnerable time.
Birth has a profound effect on us and you may well need time to adjust to your new baby and the monumental effect this has on your life. The birth experience its self, which may or may not have been positive can also impact your emotional wellbeing and your ability to be able nurture your babies. Nurturing yourself may be well down on the list of essentials, and yet it can play a vital role in you adapting smoothly into motherhood. It is estimated that between 10% and 15% of women will experience postnatal depression, but it’s now thought that this figure only reveals the tip of the iceberg and that many more suffer from anxiety, fear, lack of confidence and even anger.
This is a wonderfully deep YET gentle treatment of the sacral and abdominal areas.
What is abdominal sacral massage and how can it help me?
This type of massage has been practised around the world by indigenous peoples for centuries and can be found to have roots in India, the Middle East, and South America. The massage is deep, intense but incredibly relaxing and powerful, working not only on the physical, but often on the emotional and energetic level too.
- Help with repositioning and healing of the womb after birth
- Help to balance hormones after birth and to regulate your cycle
- Emotional support for PND
- Great for digestive issues – IBS, bloating, indigestion/heart burn and constipation/ diarrhoea
- Soothe and nurture the new mum on all levels
- Helps to release “undigested emotional trauma”
- Clears non serving energies and patterns
- Creates and supports a vibrant and nurtured womb
“Closing of the Bones”. A ceremony to physically and energetically “close” the womb and pelvis.
Vaginal steams maybe recommended, assisting with healing and repairing of the womb and pelvic area.
How it works
(This will depend on how many weeks postpartum you are and any birthing intervention. For C-section you will need to wait for 6 – 8 weeks post-surgery ~ another therapy, such as reflexology maybe suggested in the interim period)
- The sacral, lumbar and gluteal area is massaged releasing tension and tightness in the soft tissue, reducing pain, relaxing excessive torsions and twisting and so releasing any congestion of the nerves where they exit from the sacral bone and lumbar spine. This ensures that nerve impulses to the reproductive area (and digestive and bladder areas) are unimpeded and that there is not undue strain on the ligaments which support the reproductive organs. (The coccyx can also be massaged and tightness released which can impact on any pudendal nerve problems)
- Next the uterine (lower abdomen) area is palpated and massaged. This is non-invasive and helps to ensure there is optimum positioning of the womb, as congestion and misalignment impairs the natural flow of energy and blood. As a result, your womb will be able to clear the old lining (endometrium) more effectively. It encourages good circulation, lymph and nerve flow, meaning that the womb will be functioning more efficiently. Old scar tissue will also be broken down, enhancing flow and improving egg quality.
- This is followed by a deep massage of the abdomen – the small and large intestines, the ileocaecal valve, the diaphragm and liver. This is great for releasing tension, congestion, helping the peristaltic flow, encouraging the release of impacted matter through deep fascial release work and enhancing the immune system.
Serotonin levels are likely to increase, as most is manufactured in the gut (the feel good neurotransmitter!)
- Massage, pulsing, acupressure, trigger point release, “dry” massage (fascial release) visualisation, energy work, rebozo – note that not ALL of these will be used at every session, but some form of combination will be utilised. It might also be recommended to use a castor oil pack, self-massage at home and vaginal steaming
If her uterus is not in proper position and in good health, nothing in her life will be right. She will be as out of balance as her uterus. – Don Elijio Panti (Shamanic healer)