Abdominal Sacral Massage
This is a wonderfully deep yet balancing treatment of the KEY area which can be out of balance in such times of menopause and perimenopause. You may also be experiencing any of the following which it can address too:
Endometriosis; Fibroids; PCOS and cysts; Dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB); Menstrual imbalance: none, painful, heavy, irregular, PMS; Digestive issues: IBS, bloating, indigestion/heart burn and constipation/ diarrhoea
Remember that strictly speaking you are still premenopausal until you have not had a bleed for 12 months or you have had a blood test to measure hormone levels and your FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) levels are elevated. Meaning your pituitary gland is producing more to stimulate ovulation.
What is abdominal sacral massage and how can it help me?
When we reach peri-menopause and finally menopause itself, we go through massive hormonal changes which leave us feeling out of balance, emotionally vulnerable and just damn right ill. Abdominal sacral massage is a fantastically soothing and nurturing treatment which can help to balance the hormonal “hell”, helps you deal with past issues which might be making the change more problematic and assist you with basic nutritional and supplement advice so that you can move from PERIOD to Menopause with ease and grace!
This type of massage seems to be practised around the world by indigenous peoples and can be found to have roots in India, the Middle East, and South America. The massage is deep, intense but incredibly relaxing and powerful, working not only on the physical, but often on the emotional and energetic level too.
How it works
- The sacral, lumbar and gluteal area is massaged releasing tension and tightness in the soft tissue, reducing pain, relaxing excessive torsions and twisting and so releasing any congestion of the nerves where they exit from the sacral bone and lumbar spine. This ensures that nerve impulses to the reproductive area (and digestive and bladder areas) are unimpeded and that there is not undue strain on the ligaments which support the reproductive organs. (The coccyx can also be massaged and tightness released which can impact on any pudendal nerve problems)
- Next the uterine (lower abdomen) area is palpated and massaged. This is non-invasive and helps to ensure there is optimum positioning of the womb, as congestion and misalignment impairs the natural flow of energy and blood. As a result, your womb will be able to clear the old lining (endometrium) more effectively. It encourages good circulation, lymph and nerve flow, meaning that the womb will be functioning more efficiently. Old scar tissue will also be broken down, enhancing flow and improving egg quality.
- This is followed by a deep massage of the abdomen – the small and large intestines, the ileocaecal valve, the diaphragm and liver. This is great for releasing tension, congestion, helping the peristaltic flow, encouraging the release of impacted matter through deep fascial release work and enhancing the immune system.
Serotonin levels are likely to increase, as most is manufactured in the gut (the feel good neurotransmitter!)
Specific conditions which you might still be experiencing
- Helps to break down scar tissue and adhesions
- Reduces inflammatory response associated with the hormone imbalance
- Will help to balance hormones, which can then help in reducing the heavy bleeding
- Helps to clear congestion
- Strengthens liver function to enhance feedback loop between the reproductive system and the endocrine system
- Note that this will likely mean that you will experience menopause later than usual, although the likely hood is that when you do, the fibroids, which are oestrogen driven, will shrink
- Improves hormone feedback loop to help balance and regulate cycle
- Needs to be used along with nutrition that supports balanced blood sugar levels
- Improves congestion and circulation to the ovaries
Menstrual cycle – pain/heavy
- Helps to rebalance the reproductive system.
- Realigns the womb, releases soft tissue, relieves pain
- Improves blood flow
- Miscarriage, termination, abusive relationships, fear of birth, pregnancy, motherhood
- Helps to release “undigested emotional trauma”
- Reconnects you with your womb and your creative energies
- Clears non serving energies and patterns
- Creates and supports a vibrant and nurtured womb
- Helps you through this transitional phase and into the next phase of your life
- Massage, pulsing, acupressure, trigger point release, “dry” massage (fascial release) visualisation, energy work, rebozo – note that not ALL of these will be used at every session, but some form of combination will be utilised. It might also be recommended to use a castor oil pack, self-massage at home and vaginal steaming
If her uterus is not in proper position and in good health, nothing in her life will be right. She will be as out of balance as her uterus. – Don Elijio Panti (Shamanic healer)